• Chris Harvey
    The Firebase DLC includes the following:

Firebase Video Files:

Firebase_Film_Stereo
    • OatsFirebaseDLCStereo.mp4 – 7.25GB
    • 320 kbps AAC Stereo Audio
    • 1920x1080
    • h.264 40mbit/sec (approximately Blu-Ray quality)

Firebase_Film_Surround
    • OatsFirebaseDLCSurround.mp4 – 7.3GB
    • 640 kbps AAC 5.1 Surround Audio
    • 1920x1080
    • h.264 40mbit/sec (approximately Blu-Ray quality)

Firebase Booklet – Total size: 400 MB – File Name: Firebase_Booklet_v1
    • Concept Art
    • VFX look-development
    • Oats Workshop BTS Selects
    • Filming BTS selects

Firebase 3d Assets: - 23.6GB
    • Rivergod – 7.79GB
    • Rivergodstage2 – 9.74GB
    • Spidermen – 6.11GB

*** What’s NOT included yet, but we hope to make available in the future: ***
    • Sound Synced Dailies (need to engage with community as to what the best/most useable format would be for this)
    • Separate Dialog-only Mix - 24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV
    • Separate Sound Effects-only Mix – 24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV
    • Separate Music-only Mix (24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV) will be available only through purchase of the Oats Studios Volume Soundtrack which will be made available at a date to be confirmed.
    • 3D vehicle assets
    • Firebase Script

A few general notes about all 3D assets uploaded for FIREBASE.

LOOKDEV
    • These folders contain the assembled 3dsmax file used for final rendering.
    • They also contain all the necessary textures in the directory structure that should ensure everything is correctly linked. It’s a very deep directory structure but it was the easiest way to collect the data to share with the community. You can of course remap the directory structure on your own to simplify it.
    • These files (and shaders) are set-up to be used with Redshift (our renderer of choice). However, you can rebuild them to work in whatever renderer you choose.
    • The model in this file is our working resolution (with displacement maps to render like the highres sculpt)
    • The model in this file is in the T-pose (NOT the pose displayed in the thumbnail)

MODEL
    • We provide a series of various model files and formats.
    • Cleaned up mudbox file with high and low resolution meshes (used for exporting our various displacements and working resolution models.
    • Two .obj files, one the lowres working model and one high resolution sculpt
    • All of these models are in the default T-pose (not the pose displayed in the thumbnail)

RIG
    • There are two files here, both Maya files (the program we use for animation)
    • One file is the “fast” animation rig. This file does not contain the final working resolution mesh but instead contains a lower resolution cut-up mesh for fast animation interactivity. Its rig also is a stripped-down version missing some of the slower fancy things. Basically, this is the rig the animators work with 95% of the time.
    • The second file contains the same rig but with the full working resolution mesh with skinning. It also contains extra bits in the rig to assist with skinning or secondary motion. It is THIS file that you would export a model cache (whatever format you wish) from to then apply to the lookdev model for rendering.
    • The rigs are set-up to make use of the Maya referencing system so that if rig is REFERENCED in you can swap the reference on the fly. To use this do not animate directly in the rig file.

SEE IMAGES ATTACHED FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE 3D ASSETS
    Attachments
    RIVERGOD (193K)
    SPIDERMEN (202K)
  • Stefan
    @Chris Harvey

Thanks for the description. Speaking of "*** What’s NOT included yet, but we hope to make available in the future: ***"

Will that simply and automatically update itself inside the Steam library? Or do I have to purchase it additionally?

Thank you.
  • Chris Harvey
    If you have already purchased you will get that automatically...you will not be charged again for the updates
  • Stefan
    @Chris Harvey

Of course already purchased and open right now starring at my screen.

Great thanks (:
  • Enursha
    I think the audio track on the surround sound video might be broken, it definitely doesn't sound right. I'm using MPC-BE with LAV audio decoder, in the LAV audio status it's saying the track is aac, 6 channel, but the channel output meters only show activity on the left and right channels, centre, sub, surround left and right show nothing. I've checked my settings, tried the Rakka SS video and there are no issues with that.
  • Ryan Mackfall
    re: dailies I'd say mp4 h.264 wrapped.

Full res would be some kinda crazy in file size and probably test the patience of even people on fibre connections etc. Could always do a sort of 'winners proxy' whereby files could be linked at Oats end to full res files and the winning re-edit gets a proper high res treatment. That's an added perk then (or at least I'd see it that way). It also increases the engagement of everyone in the process.

Be interested to know what you guys are editing on at your end.
  • cinquantesix
    Hi, you can add to the "What's not included" list an SRT file for the subtiles...
    I know they're on Youtube, but the whole point of buying the DLC is to watch the movie on a TV screen.

It's really easier with subtitles to follow the dialogues for those who are not english speakers but still understand it.
  • John Marchant
    I have the Oats Studio and Rakku in my downloads but cant find anything to download Firebase at all.
  • beanz8919
    Have you bought the Firebase DLC? If so, you need to go to the software section and then tick the Firebase boxes in the DLC section, it should then kick off a download
  • AnthC
    @Chris Harvey
    Thanks for the information. Looking forward to digging into this!
    Could you answer a quick question for me Regarding the audio assets. Do you have any idea on a date these might be provided?

Thanks
  • John Marchant
    Hi sorry is the firebase a separate purchase because it tells me if i have already purchased the Vol 1 assets then Rakku and Fircase are part of this purchase.
  • Chris Harvey
    it is a separate purchase...I believe there are instructions explaining that issue on the Steam page.
  • Nick Jackalson
    Hi guys,

downloading the Firebase content is a real pain in the butt. First of all it would be cool if you could specify on your Steam website into which folders the content is going to be downloaded. After pressing the "Launch" button in Steam (yes, there is no "download" button) it started downloading all the stuff I had chosen, but you have to search it first. Now I found the OatsFirebaseDLCStereo.mp4 by working my way to the following folders: Steamapps > common > Oats Studios Volume 1 Assets > Files > Firebase_Film_Stereo, the rest of the content (but not all of it) I found by following steamapps > downloading > 652150 (WTF...?) > Files > then the folder "Firebase_3dAssets" with the content files for "Rivergod", "Rivergodstage2" and "Spidermen" and another folder called "Firebase_Film_Stereo" that is empty. What I still didn't find (if it has been downloaded at all) is the 400 MB Firebase_Booklet_V1 mentioned in the PDF with the concept art I'm interested in.
    Another awful example in terms of folder organizing: out of mere curiosity I doubleclicked The "LookDev" folder in the "Rivergod" folder (I know, I know,... shouldn't have done that...) another folder opens up, nothing in it but a folder called "RiverGod_LookDev_DLC", doubleclicked just to find another folder called "ZLS01", empty again, except for another folder called "projects", doubleclick on projects, again another folder, empty except for another folder called "OATS", doubleclick ... this goes on and on by following another 5 empty folders (assets>character>Rivergod>Texture>publish), until finally finding the goodies "DisplacementMaps" and "Rivergod_maps". The same procedure has to be done to get to the maps for the other 2 models...

C'mon guys, this could really be simplyfied and be done a bit more user-friendly. Just name one single folder where all the content is going to be downloaded instead of making people hunting easter eggs :(

Speaking of easter egg, where is the Firebase_booklet_V1 file located again? Any hints?

Cheers,
    Nick
  • Nick Jackalson
    Ok, next problem: just tried to import any of the Firebase models as OBJs (both, hires & lores), but it neither can be opened in ZBrush nor in KeyShot. When you sell the models as obj, the user assumes that he can import into any 3D package that is able to work with objs. If this is not the case you should specify this on the Steam website. As far as I'm concerned I'm not able to import the models, so it would be cool to find some appropriate solution here, otherwise I'd have paid for getting nothing so far.
    Thanks.
    wx57vuz0svnd02ca.jpg
    1aj1r3qs1js9ge5l.jpg
    Attachments
    error-KS (25K)
    error-ZB (11K)
  • Markarian
    You can simply create a shortcut to this folder or move the files elsewhere and sort them in your own method; I've moved mine around. The Launch button is just there to help you find the folder.

The folder structure is setup in the most efficient way for 3DSmax > Redshift. That dark rabbit hole of folders is setup in a way that any 3ds user can simply add to their library without any kind of issues, including the redshift material setups (pending you have both 3ds and redshift of course).

While this setup can be confusing, I found the folder sorting fairly intuitive for keeping track of the different meshes, lookdev, rigs, etc. The only thing you have to hunt for are the textures. I'd say this is arguably some of the smallest amount of effort to retrieve top-tier quality assets!

The objs read in just fine for me in maya, houdini, c4d, and zbrush; maybe try another program to then export out of?

Keep in mind that Oats releasing these super high quality assets and original files is something that hasn't been done before, so I respect their method of keeping everything clean for anyone using the same workflow but also keeping folders appropriately named with file structures to allow any 3D artist to adapt it to their workflow.
  • Nick Jackalson
    Hi,

thanks for your comment. Well, as I'm not working that way and I'd prefer to get the information beforehand, so again, some hints on the Steam website regarding where those files are going to be downloaded to, would be helpful.
    It doesn't really help if "the folder structure is setup in the most efficient way for 3DSMax > Redshift". Oats Studios can do it that way, for sure, but then it doesn't really make sense to spread the files on Steam, as every user should be able to work with the files, otherways it should be specified. For example like this: "These obj-files can only be imported with 3Ds Max (or Maya etc.)" In my opinion the way that this is done is a bit shortsighted. I mean ZBrush is industry standard when it comes to organic modeling, so one should be able to import those files into ZBrush. I'm sure that the Rivergods and the Spidermen have been modeled in Mudbox (organic modeling) for the most part and not in Max, so it appears quite reasonable to me to be able to import the files into similar programs.

I don't know how you managed to import the downloaded files into ZBrush. I'm working with ZBrush 4R7 and when trying to import the objs I still get the error message described above and Keyshot states that the obj "doesn't contain 3D geometry". So 2 different packages that aren't able to import those files, which may lead to the assumption that there is something wrong with the objs.
  • RikVasquez
    Firebase low res files import fine for me in Zbrush 4R8. It prompts you to choose a quad or tri conversion before loading either model. The hi res files I couldn't load as easily in zbrush or maya 2017. I don't have a production level laptop so that's what I think why I couldn't import these versions. I'll get a not-enough-memory message in Zbrush and Maya will just freeze my pc after doing a conversion attempt (something like groups to single mesh).

ht9d1pm.jpg
  • RikVasquez
    Maya Firebase files open without issues however.
  • Markarian
    If you would take a moment to read the first post in this thread, the formats and list of inclusions tells you exactly how they're provided.

It makes perfect sense to spread files the way they use them. It's an open door into their workflow or adapting it to your own. It wouldn't make sense for Oats to go file by file and setup scenes for every 3D software.

I think you're missing the point about objs. They can be opened in any 3D software. If you're having issues, you likely attempted to open them before the download finished. Another reason is that these are production-ready assets with an immense number of polygons, if you have a mid to low end pc then you will likely have memory issues just opening the files. Nothing wrong with the meshes themselves, seems like you have a user error. Try the low poly mesh! Displacement maps are provided to achieve a similar look as the final mesh.
  • David Dan
    It is THIS file that you would export a model cache (whatever format you wish) from to then apply to the lookdev model for rendering. — Chris Harvey
    If anyone knows some way to make that happen? I just want to pose character in Maya, transfer this animation(1keyframe) to 3ds max and render it there. I understand that maybe its not appropriate to ask such question here, but if anyone knows some tutorial or key words to google this problem, pls help
  • Chris Harvey
    you should be able to do a Maya cache then import that cache into 3dsmax. should be in the help files...maybe search for animation cache exchange between maya and 3dsmax or something?
  • Nick Jackalson
    Ok, I downloaded just the 3D models again (not the whole asset) and now ZBrush is able to import them. Must have been a problem with downloading from Steam.

@RikVasquez I have 32 gigs of RAM on a professional workstation, anyhow it takes a moment to open up, so the hires versions appear to be pretty hires. If you get a "not-enough-memory message" you may have the chance to find the model in your "Recovered Tools" folder after ZBrush crashed. Usually when you open this one next time it should work. After the "quad or tri conversion" message, ZB also asks if you'd like to remove unused vertices from the model, which I did. That may also save some memory. Hope this helps :)
  • David Dan

Thanks. I will search more
  • tischbein3
    Thanks for the assets!
    Was a bit disapointed with the original release, but I think thinks got a lot better with the firestarter / update to the rakka release
    Would it be possible to release additional fbx file dump of the content ?
    especially for the max files, where you need a specific version / no transfer is possible without having that version / later version
  • AnthC
    Any idea on the audio assets for this this project as far as the 5.1 features are concerned? Such as:
    • Sound Synced Dailies (need to engage with community as to what the best/most useable format would be for this)
    • Separate Dialog-only Mix - 24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV
    • Separate Sound Effects-only Mix – 24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV
    • Separate Music-only Mix (24-bit 48khz PCM Stereo WAV) will be available only through purchase of the Oats Studios Volume Soundtrack which will be made available at a date to be confirmed.
  • Chris Harvey
    I don't think an FBX dump of the 3dsmax file is going to get you anything relevant that isn't already provided in the model files? it won't be able to carry the lookdev information with Redshift which is the point of that file.
  • tischbein3
    ah it does not ?...well in that case you are right, it does not make sense
    my fault, sorry
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal