• steven blomkamp
    If you're feeling inspired, we'd love to see whatever you can create in any medium. We'll develop this section further as Oats grows. If you have questions or suggestions, head over to the FAQ section
  • Willem Grobler
    So, I've always played with the idea of tweeting this to Neill.

It's one of four pieces of concept art for an alt-history sci-fi feature set in South Africa that I've been developing over the last few years, one that I hope will see the light of day in future.

Sharing it here cos it's less public than tweeting, and very much in keeping with the design ethic of D-9, which inspired it. Hoping the D-9 fans out there dig it! :)
  • Jeandré
    Some oranje blanje blou in there
  • cryotank
    It's revolution baby !

This is my first attempt sending something here.

I was always fascinated by the blue mood of the HMI lights in the battle scenes of the movie TERMINATOR I and the robots of the Mech Warrior game franchise. 8-)

So, years ago I wrote a story about a post apocalyptic war of rebels against a high-tech-totalitarian- stablishment-and-government (details apart, please). :D

I hope you enjoy my composition made in GIMP (an open source tool).

Jean
    Attachment
  • Willem Grobler
    Well spotted, man; was a big debate for me when I had to decide on how prominent and visible to make the flag; I suppose you can guess what the alt-history is all about then. ;)
  • 4C656F
    A short film concept is technically fan art, so here we go...
    This came to my mind a while back and I have spent a few weeks tweaking the finer aspects of the story to make things seem less convenient. I'm not 100% certain on the final scene, as it needs to subtly convey what actually happened without it coming over as lazy.
    While the first part may seem like an Alien ripoff (I love these movies, I just can't help it), the core of the idea is something I haven't seen done before, so I believe there is an interesting idea in here somewhere.
    I don't have a proper script, as 1) I don't know how to write those, 2) I can't really write characters or dialogue anyways and 3) my plot summary is long enough as it is.

The film opens with a small spaceship making its way through the infinite vastness of space. Through the captain's audio log, we learn that the ship left earth at the brink of humanity's collapse in the late 23rd century. It's heading for an earthlike planet that is deemed habitable, yet also young enough that it couldn't possibly be inhabited already, making it the ideal place for a human colony. The ship's mission is to survey the planet and conduct research to determine if humans can live there before the colony ships depart earth. When the crew enters hypersleep, the ship is still three years away from its destination.

The crew, consisting of three people (I will refer to them as 1, 2 and 3 respectively) awakens three years later. They go over their mission before heading for the bridge to initiate landing. Opening the door to the bridge however, they discover that it has been breached, with various jungle plants growing inside. The ship crashed before the crew woke up.
    They manage to partially restore the ship's computer system and a heavily distorted computer announcement tells them "The ship crashed approximately 36 ... hours ago.

Realizing they crashed on the right planet and can still finish the survey in the given timeframe, 1 and 2 decide to head outside and begin the environmental analysis, while 3 stays behind to fix the ship's systems and establish communication with earth.
    Shortly after 1 and 2 left, 3 establishes contact with a human voice, that doesn't recognize the ship's serial number but promises to send help right away.

A while after, the two in the forest come across two strange humanoid creatures that lack any recognizeable facial features. The humans hide behind trees, unsure of how to proceed, but a third creature sneaks up on 1, savagely killing him while 2 manages to run back to the ship.

Meanwhile, 3 manages to fix the ship's computer, with the scrambeled announcement becoming more clear. Instead of "The ship crashed 36 hours ... ago", it had been saying "36 thousand years ago".

2 arrives back at the ship, finding a deeply distraught 3. After exchanging what happened, the ship's radar begins picking up incoming life forms, so they seal the airlock just before the sounds of the creatures trying to breach the ship leads to a few moments of horrifying tension. Realizing the bridge has been breached during the crash and may allow the creatures in, 2 attempts to seal the inner airlock, but upon arriving at the bridge, he is killed by the creatures now inside the ship.

Hearing the sounds of 2 horribly getting killed, 3 tries to barricade himself in the cryo bay, but the creatures eventually break through. 3 manages to kill one of them before being killed himself in the ensuing fight/chase.

With all humans dead, the creatures take off their helmets, revealing themselves to resemble highly evolved humans in biomechanical suits.
    From their conversation, it becomes clear that they are a rescue team, sent to investigate a strange message sent from these coordinates. Because the ship's serial number did not match any in their database, and there clearly are no people in need of help, the creatures believe the distress call to be a hoax and leave.

The ending (hopefully) implies what led to the events, though I tried to make it not too obvious.
    The three humans could be of any gender, age and ethnicity.
    For the design of the biomechanical suits, I would make it seem like the creatures resemble more of a primitive, predatorial species, though that may have been the result of the humanoid species inside living on a planet that was not their own for thousands of years. The suits could potentially resemble the black liquid technology seen in Rakka, hinting at a larger shared universe, though that would have no impact on the story.

I tried to go for a somewhat direct and traditional sci-fi horror film, with the added twist of the creatures' origins.
    I'd be happy to hear some feedback from anyone that actually bothered to read through it. Because I am typing this on a non-english keyboard, the red markings indicating spelling mistakes appear below every single word. Please excuse any mistakes I may have made.
  • Jeandré
    Sup, I hate reading but this story was short enough to read. While I was reading I thought all 3 of them will probably die, because of most humans dying in the Alien movies. The beginning starts of just like alien covenant, but I loved the end. (no aliens actually involved:D )
    Perhaps change
    The ship crashed 36 hours ... ago", it had been saying "36 thousand years ago4C656F
    to
    The ship crashed ......36 hours ... ago", it had been saying "XX thousand years, XX days and 36 hours ago
    something like that :P
  • 4C656F
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that :P
    My thoughts were that "thousand" and "hours" could sound similar if distorted enough, but your way makes more sense! Thanks! :)
    (no way to edit my post though...)
  • Jérémy
    Well , lets go ^^

Here is some of my works over years :) Some quick draw on some armors design or creature and some things I make in real by sculpting and molding :)

So some of my draws :

img_2014.jpg
    img_2018.jpg
    img_2013.jpg
    img_2015.jpg
    img_2017.jpg
    img_2016.jpg
    img_2019.jpg

I'm not good at putting colors on this or using photoshop to finish the concept so generally , I'm just make the quick draw I have in mind and I let it in his state until the day it could be used ^^

Then some helmets and sculpts I made from scratch :

10441310.jpg
    18951010.jpg
    12313010.jpg
    12314410.jpg
    27032011.jpg
    27032010.jpg
    11370_10.jpg
    15107510.jpg

And that's it ^^ What do you think guys? :)
  • Rustin L Odom
    Wow! This is really great! I especially like the tentacle face concept and the last helmets you've built but it's all fantastic! Great job!
  • Azure
    Wow really nice! I really dig the texture on the mask you sculpted.
  • cryotank

Your sketches and sculpting are really good.

The rugged faces are impressive! Will you use them to cast wearable rubber marks?

The second metal mask reminds me of Ultron from Marvel Comics.

Jean
  • Rustin L Odom
    Per request, here's some concept art on something similar to what Oats Studios is doing by opening the story for the world to help with. Who knows? Future collab potential? ;)

Essentially the story takes place in a world where consciousness is discovered to be the root of reality, and our collective consciousness as humans can create and alter anything around you with the right tech. IE: a special gadget attached to your head can move an entire building with enough "intention". As you can imagine, there's far more to explain in the world and it's ruleset, but I'll spare you.

This helps too:
    The Index (Official Website)

But here is some concept art from gadgets, props and environments for the associated short films, feature films, comic books, etc.

0fIDspw.jpg

zxHIqjg.jpg

vmdJBnB.jpg

rsSPXEi.jpg

jiMGpXY.jpg

Qx8qEQm.jpg

eefTtsx.jpg

e85hzcE.jpg
  • GripGuyBill
    Last night a friend called in a favor and asked me to Key this experimental Art film they are making. It was a blast and setting and rigging this shot was really fun.

And here are some screens pulled from my instagram. Of graphics and photo manipulations I've done.

z6sobqhuvdioa4he.png
    vz02mj2toraxpipx.png
    rvajxwzr0m6wd1sr.png
    hjt518bavrpw92gu.png
    Attachments
    IMG_1899 (486K)
    IMG_1900 (442K)
    IMG_1901 (626K)
    IMG_1902 (511K)
  • rodfrost
    Ahoy all, I sketched this up right after being electrified after watching Rakka vol 1.
    It's obviously a documentary...
    I am enjoying the aesthetic in these films. Also, nice touch with the ferrofluid-ish creatures too.

Notes
    Medium: Pencil on mylar sheet, modified
    #figureabstraction #abstract #figure

Instagram image:

um1mpwbtlv3ivosf.jpg
    Attachment
  • Jérémy

Thanks ! Same as my sketch , it's some rough sculpt , I didn't finished them very much ^^

Thanks :) I was planning to mold them but no time so they are waiting in the shop like many personnal projects... ^^
  • NenadGojkovic
    Hello there. Seeing people sharing their stuff so, feeling much inspired to share my own. Below are some samples of my work, both personal and commercial. Doing near future-future stuff is my thing. If you're more into hard surface designs like me, into vehicles, props, there's much more on my website. I'll definitely have in mind what OATS studios is doing regarding future personal designs. Lastly, looking forward seeing other peoples hard surface designs in here.

Personal stuff:

nenad-gojkovic-pb-sketch002[2].jpg
    nenad-gojkovic-enthusia-as1[1].jpg
    toroz-2-1800[1].jpg
    nenx-gojkovic-sila-f-3[1].jpg
    nenad-gojkovic-pb-sketch003[2].jpg
    nenad-gojkovic-taratula-as1[1].jpg

Commercial stuff:

gdbcodiw24.jpggdbcodiw3.jpggdbcodiw52.jpggdbcodiw2.jpggdbcodiw40.jpg
    gdbcodiw26.jpg
    gdbcodiw21.jpg
  • NenadGojkovic
    Nice stuff, I particularly like that interior concept, beautiful.
  • Michael Pedro
    I thought I recognized your work from ArtStation. Love your tech style. Great stuff.
  • Dim Nodal
    that is awesome! , you should really consider this guy to join your team!
  • Michael Pedro
    I guess I'll throw some work down as well!
    I tend to do alot of environment work, primarily sci-fi obviously. I also do cinematic keyframe work and alien/creature tech. Looking at RAKKA, I'd love to push the boundaries of alien tech to see what new, fresh aesthetics are possible.
    3xg132l8kbcxyncu.jpg
    osgpbi0t0tumnvci.jpg
    0iadh59rqwda5p7n.jpg
    u37mjjj2yfq1v7k0.jpg
    lla8xrmr94dhqa6q.jpg
    0brbrf3derwjbulz.jpg
    7m419mga4n6w1ss8.jpg
    bmswezh2k0h6wh3f.jpg
    9i3hsqmyeirutnn4.jpg
    2hkizrlj3va6uv4y.jpg
  • Jeandré
    Looks awesome!! You have a lot of talent!!
  • Goran Pavles
    These are amazing man!
  • Nelostic
    Wow This is Beautiful Cool !!!
  • Markarian
    For those of you that haven't seen the 3D print-ready model yet:

alien_full.png
    alien.png
    alien_back.png

Awesome detail, although it'd be painstaking work to texture it correctly.
    Couple of quick tests -- just cracking open the model with some lighting tweaks and a simple shader.
    Attachments
    alien_full (6M)
    alien (6M)
    alien_back (6M)
  • Nelostic

0_0 oh cool!!
  • Nelostic
    Please, someone, draw -Rakka vs Predator
    and Rakka vs Half-life =)
  • NenadGojkovic
    Lovely stuff Michael, I particularly dig #6 from the ones shown here, fantastic job there.
    Very sweet of you, appreciate it.
    Awesome job with the model.
  • Goju Ponu
    This may be the wrong place to ask, but are the 3D models set in a T-Pose or do they just come like in the pictures above? I would absolutely love to create a scene with the aliens in it in UE4
  • Markarian
    Hey Goju! The only 3D model currently released is a print-ready 3D model -- it is essentially a statue model designed for printing. More models are planned to be released in the future and if I remember correctly rigs were going to be involved. The plan is to encourage people like us to take assets to games and the like!
  • Goju Ponu
    Ah yes thank you very much. Guess we all will have to wait for the rigged models but even so I am still buying the DLC Assets Pack. Not really one in learning how to rig and convert models to characters but eh it'll have to do. Thank you anyway :D
  • The hunter

I know it doesn't look too good but I got no storyboard or even drawing education. And as you can see I've got pice of papier and pencil only.
    But... there is a first look of my storyboard to my story. Opening scene only to show something but not too much. I'm not A draw master but it shows what I want this to look like.

IMG_20170705_131024.jpg
  • Frankie
    A Copper Worm looking for something. ;)
    This clip is real-time rendered using a method named Raymarching.
    I wrote this in GLSL about 3 years ago.
  • The hunter
    This dude just know that he's there and he's comming...
    IMG_20170709_215343.jpg
  • The hunter
    Hi guys. Another single frame from one ofmy story. :)

Looks like they finally sees what's going on.
    IMG_20170710_120425.jpg
    Attachment
  • fetustwinzies
    you're are all so talented my god. question though; does anyone do mech/jaeger 3d stuff?
  • jaroldsng
    Hi there!

my name is Jarold Sng- concept artist from Malaysia; big fan of the recent Firebase shortfilm,
    did this render comp using the assets from the DLC. along with some artworks from my portfolio

pleased to share and meet you all!

FB_beauty_collectible.jpg

river_god_02.209_edited.jpg

river_god_02.210_edited.jpg

more works at my website and Artstation

www.jaroldsng.com
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/jaroldsng
  • The hunter
    I didn't have A time for this, draw this in A rush but... life on the blocks, and bored teens is not the best combination
    IMG_20170711_124626.jpg
    Attachment
  • The hunter
    I'm gonna spent more time at the last one, redraw it to make that looks better and maybe extend it of few frames more. I'm gonna also try describe a camera movement.
  • The hunter
    Ok. It's not finnish, but that's how it look now. :)

IMG_20170712_140253.jpg
    Attachment
  • The hunter
    Not exactly a frames jet, just concept for a scene. Based on that I'm gonna draw frames and camera view.
    IMG_20170523_193754.jpg

IMG_20170524_151507.jpg

IMG_20170524_151533.jpg
  • The hunter
    ts37j5hiapk1ldep.jpg
    ss5eno8clmgbjci4.jpg
    7fjm24r2qaojua7f.jpg
    Not exactly a frames jet, just concept for a scene. Based on that I'm gonna draw frames and camera view.
  • ErichWilliam
    GPTuMdw.png
    LNujEj5.png
    What ive gotten a chance to do with the models released so far. One day when I finish up all my work I will get the time to make some better stuff!
  • The hunter
    @steven blomkamp
    Fast draw. Not perfect but...
    dlmd2iyybdm1kzl3.jpg
    Attachment
  • The hunter
    I decide to redraw this shots and extend them. Let's started.sjsuz00abtv747f0.jpg
    Attachment
  • The hunter
    I'm gonna keep working on this. z3f4arbprq6iczb8.jpg
    Attachment
  • AZechariah
    Self-explanatory, an unconscious man flying inside a space full of dead rabbits..z5op0kf55yhjztsu.jpg
    Attachment
    34 (125K)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube