• ErichWilliam
    Adam might actually be my favorite short so far. I remember watching Chapter one last year and told my entire studio that we needed to stop making animated TV shows in Maya and move to doing them in game engines. The character designs are probably my favorite of all the shorts released, although the Krums are damn close. Its a shame these are Unity assets because I would love a high poly version to play around with at home. Especially the overseer crow-like character, but my favorite is that orange faced Japanese Sniper style character!

Cant wait to see where this series goes. What were everyones thoughts on the Adam series so far?
  • Boris268
    This is the future, I think the era of classic film making is over. We have much more control in real time, then with CGI especially color, effects, camera animation etc. You can all very quickly edit it adabt if something doesn't work. You can easly adabt it. I work with Unity for 6-7 years and when I started Unity looked like a child toy engine. Today it's so upgraded that it became the best engine around. We wanted to move to Unreal for a project and realized that Unity is now better in every aspect. Story wise I was super suprised they actually made a second part. Adam was supose to showcase Unity engine power for next generation of hardware. But it became much more. I now want to see as well where this goes. Interesting for sure.
  • sharon lewis
    What I love about ADAM that sets it apart - is immediately we care about the lead character - what I miss is any indication of gender/race as a factor in the character's world experience
  • JPL
    I was impressed by the facial animation. Really inspiring both visually & technically. But i'd be super happy if someone could elaborate the technical side of the process.

The article at https://unity.com/madewith/adam says:
    “We scanned the actors’ facial performance by photographing them the way you do an environment, using photogrammetry. This was done in high resolution at 60 frames a second. We ended up with 60 heads, which translated as 60 different meshes deforming in Unity upon playback. “Sort of like classic Mickey Mouse animation,” adds Blomkamp.

This hyper-realistic facial animation dispenses with rigs, bones and all the trappings of classic 3D animation – it only needed Alembic support.

Bit, there appears to be the actor model, which is the target of the alembic stream?

How did they deform the target mesh without rigs, bones & all the trappings of classic 3d? :)
  • JPL
    OK nevermind me, I was thrown off by some development pic. It's just an alembic stream of changing meshes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment