• TheGravetenders
    Ok folks here are my thoughts on this. The three elements can be woven easily into the D9 and D10 series. I'm going to edit this as I think of more stuff and refine the formatting. chime in and we can add ideas to the original post:

Firebase: An alien species (a1) sends a single reconnaissance soldier to Earth to assess our military capabilities, This is the first time we see the actual commander of the invading forces. After the hit on Vietnam. a1 initiates the launch of the ship in D9

D9: The same alien species (a1) sends a preliminary worker force to Earth to create humanitarian crises and "seed" the planet with their insect slave/worker race (prawns). Christopher is mistaken when he believes he's going to "save his people". His people are doing exactly what A1 domesticated them for.
    Christopher may be smart for a Prawn but he is still a prawn.

D10: Prawns escalate and begin to breed at a geometric rate. Infesting all of Africa, Africa was the target because the second wave to come in Rakkan is reptilian and requires heat.

Rakka: The "Lizard" Species also a tool of A1 Arrives and invades the planet using Africa as a Firebase. "Angels" in Rakka have also arrived to assist the humans in their darkest hour and guide them into advanced technologies, space travel and Metaphysical travel and communication across the universe/galaxy (lucid dreams?). Which leads to A1 returning in mass to destroy them.

Zygote: The remnants of the human race, hiding in the coldest places of the planet desperately trying to make a monster to kill the Rakka. The series becomes a war between the humans living in the icy reaches of the mountains and poles and the Rakka, A1 and Prawns occupying the planet.

Elysium:
    Now with advanced technologies and space travel, the humans are back to their same old shenanigans.
  • Johann
    Interesting idea to link all the worlds together. I read one of your previous posts about Rakka following up from District 9 and quite liked the idea. The only thing was that it didn't quite feel right that the D9 aliens were a slave species sent for recon - feels a bit too forced. But perhaps the lizards discover us since they're tracking and hunting their natural enemy.

Could be a nice set up for Wikus (Sharlto) to find meaning and purpose in his transformation. Maybe he's the only one's that can save humanity from the lizards since the D9 aliens are pretty pissed off with humanity and are unlikely to assist. Maybe they've got some kind of natural defense against the lizards.

I'm not sure though...there's lots going on in Rakka that doesn't quite gel with D9. Different location, it has a different feel in some way and it seems like Amir is being set up as some kind of hero or at least some kind of weapon that will help defeat the lizards.

I've also created a post on collaborating with story beats specifically for Firebase here:

https://forums.oatsstudios.com/discussion/240/good-storytelling-is-key-collaborating-on-firebase-story-beats#Item_1
  • TheGravetenders
    I'm thinking of a alien race that has farmed the galaxy for subordinate lifeforms. The dumb insects easy slaves and fodder for a first wave to set up infrastructure, they breed fast and dig in deep . Reptiles are bred tough and versatile, good for an occupation force, supported by the insects with their hive like mindset.
    Firebase alien A1 is the farmer, the general commanding his armies to take the planet. For both reptile and insect the cold is a hazard, it makes sense humans would retreat there, then they find out the "Angles" have betrayed them and are creatures of the cold actually another farmed race by the A1
  • TheGravetenders
    Or maybe Wickus and Christopher "fight the power" Christopher said " i will not let my people be slaves" Well maybe he won't let A1 enslave them either, maybe Christopher and Wickus lead a revolt of the Prawns and Chaos erupts among the ranks of the Rakka and A1 overlords.
  • TheGravetenders
    Different feel and location: The world isn't all South Africa man, the prawns have landed there for the heat. The Invasion force would use the horn of Africa as a F.O.B. and move up into Europe and over to Asia and America. If that happened communications would be rapidly cut off and chaos visible in Rakka ensue.
  • Johann
    I kind of like the idea of linking all the movies but I'm a fan of subtlety and subtext. There needs to be a certain air of mystery left for the audience. Look at how Star Wars fans are always coming up with theories. Who is supreme Leader Snoke? The questions are never answered too directly and that keeps the audiences guessing and in anticipation of the next episode.

My idea for Firebase was to have an unknown object appear in low earth orbit over Vietnam to apparently account for the rapture events (but it's just guesswork by the Major). I don't like the idea of seeing any aliens, there's just a subtle hint - maybe the object looks similar or has similar attributes to an extra-terrestrial artifact from Rakka or D9. This way fans start trying to link the plots but are never quite sure. It then becomes part of the "hype" to try and figure out a consolidated theory that links all the movies into one massive overarching plot. Maybe that happens as another movie a few years down the line?

The public isn't yet fully aware of alien species in 1970 as the arrival only happens later in D9. Firebase has it's own plot and conclusion but there's a foreshadowing of future events.
  • TheGravetenders
    that's awesome.. great idea.
  • TheGravetenders
    rewatching firebase now.. notes:
    Helicopter disassembling itself = Looks like a technology assessment.
    Men spinning in formation = Intelligence extraction from their brains.
    Possessed soldier he kills with the stake followed by the remains of what appears to be a Rakka soldier also reanimating.
    Then the "Alien" or whatever appears and note this.. It has robotic parts on it animating the skeleton..
    10LDWGR.jpg
    Advanced technology from? ALIEN A1 in his reconnaissance.
  • Johann
    Ah. Nice observations! Also a possible foreshadowing of Elysium.
    Attachment
    Untitled-1 (42K)
  • Hayley
    OK, just a random question about D10, and I didn't know where else to put it.
    Obviously at the end of D9, Christopher leaves, and there are thoughts he's going to come back and declare war on the humans. Do you think he's *actually* going to do it, though? He always seemed like the kind of character who wouldn't use violence unless it was absolutely necessary -- more of an alien for peace, but not a full pacifist.
  • Johann
    Agree with your sentiments above Hayley. I feel exactly the same about Christopher and my sense was that he would return and keep his word to Wikus. That doesn't mean there might not be some other pissed off aliens coming back with him though....
  • Robert Miller
    The mech bits on rivergods' back I though were placed there by the soviet scientists. That adds an interesting wrinkle in the story. Maybe in this universe the soviets are actually way more advanced than anyone knows and the CIA is trying to cover it up without fully playing their high tech hand, or maybe theres some super advanced breakaway civilization who is using the top 1 percent most advanced soviet tech and the top 1 percent most advanced US tech against each other as kind of an open air experiment with Vietnam simply being the lab. The crazy landcrawler aircraft carrier, the jets, and the fact that they just happened to have these bits of hardware just laying around waiting for the rivergod to appear so they could bolt it to him make me think that theres a high tech experiment being conducted out in the jungle using three separate nations as pawns. The armor at the end is finished, packaged, and ready to go. How did the CIA know months or years ago that this equipment was going to be needed?
  • Johann
    My idea was that the advanced tech was merely the manifestation of Sgt. Bracken's delusions - his worst nightmare of the communist threat fueled by U.S. propaganda come true. Doesn't mean it can't be a kind of "mass hallucination" though. However, as I said in the other thread, I like that these personal hells actually manifest as real (and the subtext already suggests that too). It's also reminiscent of the Biblical "fire from the sky" in The Book of Revelation. (another source of fear). For this idea to work though - that each manifestation of hell is coloured by an individual's unique fantasy world - there should be little consistency between the Russian tech encountered in each of the soldier's "personal hells". Each soldier imagines it slightly differently.

Going with your idea of Psychotronics and MKUltra in the other thread the armour of God could be one of these devices used to turn Hines into a killing machine keeping his fantasy intact that the VC are Satan and his hordes. The fact that 1/3rd of the U.S. population were against the war and that soldiers experienced a profound loss of meaning and purpose in the chaos of the war could be a good motivation for MKUltra looking for a way to exert mind control on the soldiers. But Hines' delusion that he is the Christ-like saviour of "the other" backfires through a bizarre twist where he actually redeems himself. He takes off the armour of God just prior to his "death" which both lifts the psychosis as well as being symbolically suggestive of "disarming oneself" - the necessary psychological first step of re-integrating one's feeling function and restoring one's ability to empathize.
  • TheGravetenders
    Too complicated I think.. it looks more like a corpse of a soldier re-animated and augmented with alien tech, the tech even looks similar to D9 tech. I'm thinking there's something in the Firebase dialog that can steer this story line. I'd lose all the religious mumbo jumbo and psycho babble.. stick to the IRL story line first
  • TheGravetenders
    And explain the reanimated lizard thing corpse in the bunker, the soldier corpse.. I like the psychological writing you're doing though. It fits well in with the larger scaled story line. Like the character is stuck on some religious bullshit while the real world scenario is way bigger. FB>D9>D10>RAKKA. as Christopher in D9 is stuck on some slave shit and doesn't see the big picture either.
  • TheGravetenders
    You can't explain away advanced tech by delusions, the whole twist thing is played out. You can't explain away the disassembling tanks and reanimated soldiers as delusion either.
  • TheGravetenders
    I can't see a pilot being high ranking in the political structure of wherever the Prawns came from, he's driving what's basically a truck full of worker bees. He may not even be able to put his money where his mouth is, the D9 ship barely made it to Earth in the first place. My point is why would a simple Truck driver meant to drop off a "seed pod" of prawn slaves to infest a planet have any idea of the bigger picture? after the recon done in Firebase, the A1 Alien race running the invasion campaign just needed the drop, then the Rakka show up after D10 and the Prawn escalation to an actual uncontrolled Earth infestation via breeding.
  • Johann
    Not sure how much you have read out other thread on Firebase story beats? It's a very convoluted back and forth creative process with continuous changes to the story arc and difficult reading, but something is coming together I feel.

The thing is in the final analysis it's not delusion. It only starts out as religious and ideologically fueled delusion (religious bullshit as you called it) but this manifests as actual reality through the combination of psychotropics and psychotronics. My reasoning is two-fold as a form of social commentary:

Beliefs and ideologies that we hold are subjective rather than objectively true and real (potentially delusional and hence dangerous) so that needs to be emphasized particularly when we dehumanize others. If it doesn't start out as delusion in the story arc then we are saying that "religious bullshit" is real from the outset - a dangerous commentary.

However, that being said "psychic reality" is also actually more real than physical reality in respect of it's "affect" - our subjective beliefs are a far greater motivating factor for making us do things in the world than "objective reality". Hence the dangerous delusion actually become physically manifest - hell of earth - through the psychotronics.

Make sense?
  • TheGravetenders
    Yeah that's a great idea. The destruction of humanity through their own preconceived religious notions manifested.
  • Robert Miller
    There is some evidence from collective unconsciousness studies involving random number generators that suggests humans can subtly effect real world change with nothing more than thought and intention. Thats actually the basis behind "real" magic according to guys like Alestaire Crowley and Jack Parsons. Being enough of a manipulative liar to convince a bunch of useful idiots of something can not only make them work towards the reality of your intent, it can also literally bend reality to your will with the amplification via the crowd of minds. The psychotronics experiments may have simply amplified the effect of an individuals intent to the point that the grief stricken villager kind of took over the event. They probably intended to just test the technology on a bunch of doomed soldiers and this whole episode is an experiment gone wrong.
  • TheGravetenders
    They intended to test it on their dead soldiers assuming they would have control of the effect and input voltages from the surrounding "feelings" and thoughts that drove the creation of the manifest delusion.
    Instead the receivers on the corpse picked up the misery of the villagers being victimized and amplified their internal cries for a savoir from their tormentors.
  • Hayley

Hey,
    I like what I'm hearing so far :)

Just something to consider: Firebase is set in 1970, correct? By 1970, Nixon was in charge, and his idea towards Vietnam was completely different from LBJ's.
    LBJ had great ideas domestically, that related to the integration of blacks and whites ("a Great Society"), but that all had to be shoved aside for Vietnam, which he really wasn't prepared for. Nixon, on the other hand, had weaknesses relating to his domestic policy, but his goal was to get soldiers out of Vietnam. His 'Vietnamization' process involved American soldiers preparing South Vietnamese soldiers (Army of the Republic of Vietnam or ARVN) forces to defend themselves against the VC. Thing is, they didn't really want to. They were just as done as we were -- in fact, they were done even before the US government decided they wanted out.

I don't know how much this can help, but since Vietnam spanned such a long time period in history, it's always good to figure out where we are on the timeline. Something else that happened during 1970 was the Kent State Massacre in Ohio. American soldiers went into neutral countries (Cambodia) because VC forces were hidden there. They bombed the crap out of the place, which led to many, many students at Kent State University to peacefully protest American involvement in the war. 4 were shot dead by police.

Again, I don't know how helpful this will be, but one thing I do know is that this was all *televised*. If Hines goes on leave at some point (either during 1970 or even before) he'll see, or at least hear about, the horrors American soldiers committed in Vietnam. He probably didn't think about it much while doing it, but seeing it on TV might make it more real, if you can understand that. I dunno, just a thought.
  • TheGravetenders
    Nice, maybe dig in to actual CIA conspiracy theories as well from that time.
  • TheGravetenders
    That theory also holds up as a method for the A1 aliens to "drop a bomb" and recon a target planet's military capabilities. The same device could be designed by an Alien species as a method for non-personnel recon. Also misfired the same way.
  • Hayley

OK, so for CIA stuff, here's something interesting, called "Operation Wandering Soul." I think if we really wanted to, we could potentially tie it in (but I don't want to force anything).

A Vietnamese superstition was that if you died away from family and if you were not buried with your ancestors, then your soul would be forced to wander forever, in pain. The US would record tapes of South Vietnamese actors screaming in pain, searching for their families and begging the VC to desert in order to save their own souls. They were then broadcast via helicopters or GIs carrying speakers.

Could be useful?
  • Johann
    Awesome idea. It totally resonates with the mandates of the Phoenix program and MACV-SOG to conduct psychological warfare. I'm just not sure how or where that gets told?
  • Johann
    Instead of restricting the use of psychotropics to U.S. combatants, they could be using them in "chemical attacks" against the VC as well as part of operation wandering soul. It would certainly explain the use of gas masks outside Sgt Bracken's tent at 10:28.
  • Johann
    A Vietnamese superstition was that if you died away from family and if you were not buried with your ancestors, then your soul would be forced to wander forever, in pain.Hayley

This could be the basis for a psyop gone wrong. The RG is actually one of these wandering souls. Recording of tapes sounds like Bracken's interview but on the U.S. side.

By the way I think "Tar Heel" is possibly a reference to troops not breaking ranks looking at the etymology and possible legends around that. So when the Major says "Tar Heel is gone" it's a metaphor for the soldiers breaking ranks. Combined with the images of the Jolly Roger (jester) and song references we now know that there's definitely some psyop taking place to keep the soldiers motivated.
  • Robert Miller
    Tar Heel is the name of the forward firebase that was wiped out by the rivergod. I dont think its a metaphor for desertion.
    It makes sense to prime the psyche of the troops before introducing an aerosolized psychotropic compound or a standing wave carried blanket psychotronic suggestion effect. The priming would change the way the testing would be experienced, most likely by removing some of the variables introduced by divergent personalities, making the effect easier to measure. Wandering soul would be that priming. Your control/observers would have to be in gas masks, and they're probably wearing some sort of faraday cage, makes sense.
    The A1 aliens could be the angel seen in Rakka. A1 uses the prawns as gatecrashers, the Rakka are the colonizers and maybe originally fed on the prawns. The A1 sent a recon spore that just hung out till someone was susceptible to it (the villager) due to extreme emotional duress. The CIA knew about it and was trying to hunt it and prevent it from taking root in a body by killing everyone in the area. The anti reality dysfunction suit exists to fight and kill it, maybe the psycho-weapons too. So how did they find out about the recon probe long enough ago to have taken all of these long term research actions? Tesla. The blackknight satellite spoke to him, telling him to build a thing that would prevent reality dysfunction. They didnt know what it was for, but eventually the spooks who stole his lifes work post-mortem built it. Heres the big twist! The angels, A1, whatever, sent the blackknight (call it something else if you want) just to wait and tell us to build the portal, we did, and reality began to breakdown the second it was turned on. The CIA and others have been running around the world trying to get a lid on the breakdown but theyre falling behind despite using modified/fixed versions of the reality dysfunction tech. The whole psychotropics/psychotronics program spectrum being worked on, especially in Vietnam, is just to try to cap peoples ability to break reality by reprogramming or failing that, shorting out their brains so they cant interact with "the Fabric" while under emotional stress. Before A1 sent their probe and we built the damned device we individually were too weak to manipulate the fabric. They exist inside of the fabric and are most likely interdimensional or Multiversal. Without their probe turning on our brains we couldnt be located by them amongst the contents of the "Bulk" reliably enough to send their lackeys to utilize our planet.
    So a chronology of the films would be: Unnamed Tesla/blackknight device build open movie (lots of Alphabet agency sci-fi legends for this), Firebase, One or more 70s 80s 90s 00s period piece(s) combining sci-fi and conspiracy making the stories about the people reacting to/coveting the now quickly advancing tech, Chappie, Elysium, Rakka, Zygote, unnamed humans vs A1 and their goons movie, and maybe a nice endpiece film where WE are the A1 aliens in the future!!
    Sorry, too complicated, I know, but the single universe idea (among sci-fi movies) has always been a fun idea to me. Adding the restriction of only including Blompkampian films makes it a pretty challenging exercise.
  • Johann

Tar Heel is a the nickname for the state of Northern Carolina. Check this out:

"One such legend claims it to be a nickname given during the U.S. Civil War, because of the state's importance on the Confederate side, and the fact that the troops "stuck to their ranks like they had tar on their heels". - Wikipedia.

I've also read that Northern Carolina were one of the last states to give up support for the U.S. military involvement in Vietnam and join in anti-war protests. Now think about Hines being accused of breaking ranks when he gets picked up by Palmer. I seriously doubt the name for the base was just a co-incidence. It gives us a clue to Blomkamp's intentions here and suggests psyops were used on troops to keep them on the "straight and narrow".

My sense is that Palmer is lying / guiding Hines. I'm not sure we can trust what he says at all times about the River God etc. Something to bear in mind. But this is a bit of a derail to the single universe theory so I'll keep this kind of stuff in the other thread.
  • Robert Miller
    Ah, thanks for the clear up. Obviously youre right and youre picking up on different details than I. I thought the forward firebase was called Tar Heel as a semantic suggestion that they will keep every inch of land they take and they refused to be pushed back or knocked down, like they have tar on their heels, but your research cleared that up. The desertion angle is both more likely and more elegant storytelling. Good eye, or ear in this case.
  • Johann
    Not necessarily. Meaning seems to be layered in the story so your idea is not wrong. Also, that etymology of Tar Heel is only one of the legends about the origin of the name. I did find out some surprising info about a Senator called Rivers (from Charleston) who denied the My Lai incident which I've posted in the other thread. So it seems to be more specifically about the My Lai Massacre and how that affected the war.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment