• ArjayHaitch
    I saw in the other thread that Oats is a Windows house. And there's a good survey at
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey which I expect is probably a good reflection of what content creators here use. But I'm curious to know what you content creators here use.
    1. What OS? (10 votes)
        Windows (7/8/10)
        90%
        MacOS
        10%
        Linux
          0%
  • Markarian
    I'd say if you're a one-man job and you're new, stick to windows. Versatility goes a long way when you're first learning! Otherwise I would say Linux in FX/CG, I keep seeing that more than windows in studios. It's a matter of what tools you use and how you want to use them, some tools don't run on the various platforms :o
  • MesH
    imo don't let the OS get in the way of creating. Use what you are comfortable with. That being said, typically the industry uses MacOS.
  • ErichWilliam
    I would highly disagree. 6 of the 7 studios I have worked at were Windows or Linux based. And most of those that used Windows used Linux for their render farm. Graphic design studios on the other hand I know use MacOS.
  • beefsweat
    at the end of the day most tools are generally the same between OS choices, it is always about the hands using them. that said, today's macs and macOS offers you basically nothing aside from arguable 'creature comforts'
  • TheGravetenders
    Mac only got that reputation from being the only OS for Pro-tools hardware in the early 90's and it was the OS of choice for early MIDI computer stuff as well. Once 3rd party Windows Audio and MIDI took hold it quickly surpassed Mac as the OS of choice. Protools Windows Legacy Drivers followed and from then on out Mac quickly got blown away and now reigns simply on reputation. There's nothing superior about the hardware. And IMO the OS is far too restrictive and commercialized.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment