• AnthC
    Greetings there,

I wanted to start a thread / group for those interested with or involved with the wonderful world of sound design and editing X-)

This can be a place that like minded individuals can discuss and share work, ideas, How to's, etc. Or just a place to geek out about the processes of designing sound and editing.

This could also be a resource for anyone looking for a sound designer or editor as well.

So please, if you would like to share, educate, demonstrate or just flat out geek out over about sound...You are welcomed :D
  • MesH
    I can get behind a thread like this! Aspiring sound designer/mixer here. Doing sound work for Project: Contingency currently, but have been looking to do some short films and other projects!

My website if anyone's interested!

Additionally, I manage a sound design community on Twitch.tv and do bi-weekly sound design challenges through our discord server. If anyone is interested I can shoot you a link!
  • TheGravetenders
    I do a ton of this. I've lately been using Adobe Soundbooth and dynamic linking over to Premiere. I found exporting for use in Cakewalk too time consuming. The Dynamic linking lets you see changes in AE and Premiere in the Soundbooth sync viewer
  • MesH
    I've been diving into REAPER quite a bit myself and have been enjoying it quite a bit, however working with video tends to be a pain in the ass. At some point I'll probably find myself going back to Pro Tools or even Nuendo.
  • TheGravetenders
    I like MIDI, it makes it a difficult integration. I'm thinking about getting into using MIDI Sync to sync the actual programs to get around it.
  • TheGravetenders
    sync Premiere/Audition up to Cakewalk via internal MIDI sync. Enabling me to use Cakewalk to handle my MIDI sequencing and run alongside Audition/Premiere on a separate monitor. Allowing full function and Video "dynamic" linking without the actual interface for it in Cakewalk.
  • Frankie
    So you can't add a video track to your music editor like for example in Logic Pro?
  • TheGravetenders
    I can but constantly updating the file and re-rendering every time there's a change so I can adjust tracks is a hassle. it's easier to just sync the applications.
  • Natan Vance
    That's a great idea! Perhaps the forum could have some sub categories like this?

Currently working on some cinematic sounddesign myself, will be glad to showcase it here when it's ready!
  • AnthC
    Wow!!! :D

I am happy that this is getting some traffic and is a popular realm!!! Thank you everyone so far for joining and supporting this!!!
  • AnthC

Hey there, First off thank you for joining!

Took a look at some of your work and have to say, very impressive! You have a good deal of talent and skill and I look forward to talking with you more about your projects and such in the future.

I am also interested in hearing more about the Twitch community you have and these challenges. If you could send me some information on that, that would be very much appreciate.

Again thank you for joining and participating in this group!
  • AnthC

I have been dabbling in Reaper as well for some time. There are some amazing features in this program (some of which rival Pro tools) but I do have to say that I have had difficulty with using video as well within Reaper. I have yet to get the new update but I am hopping that somewhere down the line, they fix this cause I do like using this DAW for sound design.
  • AnthC

Hey there, This is an awesome idea!

Let's think of some categories and get them started. This way we can keep everything organized.

Also, would be happy to hear what you are working on when you are finished. Keep me posted and looking forward to hearing you work!
  • MesH
    Thanks for the compliments! Glad you like what I have! I'm currently working on beefing it up so I can get a stable job though :)

The Twitch community is pretty small yet, but it's all about building up a group of post audio/sound designers to stream and share their process. We do bi-weekly sound design challenges and just talk audio! I usually try to stream for a few hours Mondays through Fridays while I work on sound replacement projects. It's been a lot of fun and a nice thing to add to a portfolio!
  • MesH
    Yea, Reaper has it's issues with video unfortunately. I will probably end up investing in PT so I can have my smooth video scrubbing back!
  • ArjayHaitch
    Is sound design and editing distinct from sound fx? Does it also include music?
  • AnthC

Hey there, To be very honest with you. I feel "Sound Design & Editing" encompasses many if not all forms of sound. That being from sound effects, foley, dialog, music, etc.

In this day and age, a lot of gray area or bleeding happens with what sound design "is". I for one thing sound design and editing are 2 different things but sometimes they are the same.

Talk of musical sound design is welcomed here as well!
  • AnthC

For sure!!!

I am in the process of gathering some newer material for my reel as well. Working on my last project right now. Once done, I will be focusing on designing some newer material and getting a website together for myself. Looking forward to sharing my material with you all.

I would like to join in in some of these challenges you have going on. Let me know the details.
  • AnthC

yeah as Reaper has its issues, it is still a power house when it comes to design work and such. The way you can create effects and such is (I think) far superior then PT. Avid has a robust video engine for sure and if anything I would use that simple for editing and such my sound assets to visual media. but as far as for heavy design work and such, reaper has it going on.
  • TheGravetenders
    is sound design and editing two different things? I see it as one, I can see "design" as being the design of the look and feel of the overall piece and scene, and that can go pretty deep to emotional stimulation caused by different keys of music, intensity of music, rhythm of the foley. Overall concepts and "design" . Not to mention the effects as far as acoustics, calculating acoustic properties of virtual environments ext. There is a tremendous amount of math involved in figuring out how a helicopter will reverberate off buildings or a voices in a room. You have to edit to achieve all those things, you have to edit to place the wav forms correctly and apply the clip based effects.
  • AnthC

Well for the time I have been in the sound realm, I have always read and heard that design and or editing are one in the same or 2 different realms. There has never been a hard line for either. For me, I think they are 1 in the same. As you had stated above, the "design" can be the look and feel of sound or sounds of a moment or piece. This can also go as you said to a deep emotional area as for sound and or music. Editing is placing those sounds or such to a piece on a technical side yet, adding the little details and such to bring yet another level.

That's why I feel that sound design and editing are one in same, they both involve a level of technical and creativity that as a whole bring a piece to life. For me I do both, sound design and editing. SO in my eyes they are one in the same. The line gets blurred for me.
  • MesH
    Here's a link to our Discord server if you wish to check it out! I should be posting a new challenge by the end of the day. https://discord.gg/4U25Nc9

And I agree with you regarding REAPER. I really love using it and it's got a ton of great features. If they are able to improve their video playback I probably wouldn't ever go back to PT!
  • AnthC
    WE ARE BACK!!!!!

He there everyone?!
    How have we been doing??
    What adventures have we been on???
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url