• TheGravetenders
    So the materials that are on steam, are they importable into After Effects for compositing or is there a package in the Adobe CS that can prep the materials for compositing? I'm just digging into film and VFX and am unsure about 3d stuff.
  • Markarian
    As far as 3D within After Effects, your best and only real bet is VideoCopilot's Element3D. You can import objects, assign materials, create animations, and render it all inside AE. The only downside is rendering quality in comparison to true 3d, but it's a close second if you can't jump into anything like Maya, 3dsmax, Blender (free), etc.
  • Deechmo
    Element 3D is pretty robust if you want to just stick with After Effects. I only used AE + Element 3D on my last film - whose VFX you can see here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06AFQDVwtmc

I only did it this way because I had been using AE for a long time and only had a few years experience with Maya at the time. I was happy with the results, but for the best quality and most creative options in regards to 3D I would find the time to learn one of the major 3D programs.
  • TheGravetenders
    I think I can make the jump over time, but I'm fascinated with Adobe's seamless Dynamic linking, it's obviously still in the works but jumping seamlessly from Premiere to AE to PS to Animator and other tools is perfect, I'd like to be able to do the 3 d with it, and my instinct is that it's underused and probably way more robust than expected if used in the right way. I want to see if the entire project can be completed reasonably in Adobe CS
  • Markarian
    Seemless linking is great in theory but it's produced problems for our team in crunch time so now we stick to regular project files :P

Try out E3D!
  • TheGravetenders
    Learning 3d is top of the list for sure. this advice is invaluable in deciding which package and direction. Thanks, I'll try both Element AE and a few 3d packages on the side.
  • TheGravetenders
    Yes it's caused me some delays in using it with Audition, it's still clunky. The Premiere/AE link can get wonky too sometimes and you have to relink the files. Fortunately I'm at home with no crunches and have plenty of time to experiment. Also I'll try E3d
  • Deechmo
    Cool! Best of luck!
  • TheGravetenders
    Hard Reset looks great. I have one note though respectfully. The gunshot when the protagonist fires the analog gun sounds out of place to me. I would muffle or resonant filter it, maybe bring down the mid frequencies sharply with a 20band
  • Deechmo
    Thanks re: note- but unfortunately train has left the station on any sort of changes. All files have been submitted to distro company for release, as it's coming out next Tuesday. I'll add that to the list of the hundred things I wish I could change! Always happens once a project is done hah.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment