• skyward
    Seems like we're all SF fans here (especially Neill's distinctive sub-brand) - thought this could be a running thread of movie/TV/book/comic/games/short story recommendations - so please jump in and add your own.

TV
    Really, really enjoyed Westworld. A rare example of an SF show with the budget and talent to reach its potential.

Comics
    Saga is fantastic, but you probably already knew that.
    Brian K Vaughn also writes 80s-themed time travel adventure Paper Girls, which is getting better and weirder with each issue.
    Nowhere Men is a fantastic ensemble SF drama (issues seem to have dried up)
    Appleseed - other than Akira, my favourite manga. Brilliant world-building and tech designs in a utopian SF/military tale from Masamune Shirow (see also Ghost in the Shell)

Books
    Stories of your Life (aka Arrival and other short stories) by Ted Chiang is great. Read it recently because of the Arrival movie, but a couple of stories in there really got to me (some high concept Blomkamp-esque ideas in Understand and Hell is the Absence of God.
    Likewise, Ken Liu'sPaper Menagerie collection has some gems, flitting from hard-ish SF to magical realism. Good stuff.

Movies
    What can I say? It's quiet, but the trailer for Dennis Villeneuve's Blade Runner sequel is promising, and I can't wait for Duncan Jones's spiritual Moon sequel, Mute (coming straight to Netflix too).

Magazines
    Can't recommend New Scientist enough at the moment - technically it's science fact, but you'll be amazed, nonetheless!

Games
    Played the Lawbreakers beta this weekend - some brilliant weapons, and does some clever things with gravity...
  • Ironclad Industries
    im playing fallout 4 right now, giving me lots of ideas of weapon builds for my channel, also need to make some power armor some time, real power armor
  • Christopher Moonlight
    I've been really focused on deconstructing that final season of Samurai Jack. I don't think there's ever been a greater show on television.
  • Jeandré

Young Justice, season 3 begins this year
  • skyward
    Forgot to mention Rick and Morty, which just gets better and better. And Titanfall 2 - fair to say the first game 'borrowed' a few ideas from D9/Elysium/Chappie, but they really got the to stick in an FPS context.
  • Hayley
    Reading: the Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. Really interesting mixture of politics, philosophy, strategy, and action. Also recently finished A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it - super mind-bending and a very paranoid atmosphere, but it's classic SF.

Watching: nothing much good out now, so I've been going back to earlier SF movies. Saw 12 Monkeys a few weeks ago, which is classic Terry Gilliam. Also saw The Dark Knight for the first time last week -- one of those superhero movies that really blurs the lines between hero and villain (the way I like it). I'd also recommend the TV show Legion (on iTunes, Amazon). It's like X-Men crossed with Stanley Kubrick, Pink Floyd, Donnie Darko, and Philip Dick. Definitely not your stereotypical superhero show...
  • Christopher Moonlight
    I've heard that's good but haven't checked it out yet.
  • Christopher Moonlight
    Loved A Scanner Darkly. One of PKD's more coherent works. lol. I've heard a lot of good things about Orson Scott Card and have been meaning to check him out.
  • Zef Rowsom
    Currently reading The Divine Invasion by Philip K. Dick.

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein is next on the pile. It's a re-read.
  • Creactivity
    reading The Divine Invasion by Philip K. Dick.Zef Rowsom

(Y) (Y) (Y)
  • Richard K Simpson
    I just re-read REPLAY by Ken Grimwood. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/341735.Replay . It's a great story and extremely well written. Now reading THE RED, FIRST LIGHT by Linda Nagata.
  • cryotank
    I'm re reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, New brazilian edition.
  • skyward
    I like the premise for Replay - obviously the time loop device is used elsewhere, but normally over 24hrs (Groundhog Day, All You Need is Kill/Edge of Tomorrow, Source Code etc).
  • Zef Rowsom
    Now I'm rereading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.
  • eagle2k
    I'm reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Tom Sweterlitsch, also catiching up with Simon Stalenhag's Tales from the Loop & Things from the Flood. I discovered both authors/artist via Oats Studios.

About to start watching season 3 of Voltron on Netflix, it's a great series that is also fun to watch with my kids.
  • Hayley
    The Divine Invasion? Awesome! I love PKD :)
    I tried reading VALIS, and I got so unbelievably confused. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few days. Right now I'm reading the PKD 'Eye in the Sky' (can't get enough of his stuff. Blade Runner is probably my favorite movie)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment