FUNDING

12Next
  • Andy Lefton
    @Neill Blomkamp @steven blomkamp

Would Oats ever consider working in a 3D only pipeline for short films? Just a random thought. Cheers.

ZeerOh, I was quite reluctant in looking into Kickstarter for my first short film, which I paid for completely out of pocket, but after pulling my head out of my ass, I think this is something to definitely consider with my next (few) endeavors.

Kelly, I'll be in touch! Probably won't have time prior to my tour, but will definitely touch base :)

FatChance_web_poster_zpsqog5vv65.jpg
  • steven blomkamp
    Hey andy, we have some all 3d stuff on the way for sure :)
  • Kelly
    Hey sorry I've been offline a few days. I just watched your film Andy! It's so lovely, such a nice concept. You managed to create a lot of empathy and it made me smile a lot :D
  • Kelly
    And yes, get in touch when you can, and good luck with the band in Skye :D
  • tischbein3
    IMHO your experiment got a good start but I think there is room for improvement:

- Donation should be specific to each short and with a note that it can be expanded if funding goes ok
    so you do know wich project would gain enough interest for people to pay for. vid statistics don't represent the amount of people willing to pay for a specific genre

- I would continue to do it as a episodic web series wich is imho cheaper and less risky than going full feature. So each episode can fund the next.

- Production blogs to keep the hype running

- Do the full shebang: merchandise, expanded content (e-books) soundtrack on itunes etc. Everything wich needs little investment on your side with a guaranteed roi (even if its just small numbers it should be taken in into account)

- Lower costs: I'm not a fan of indie projects wich go full hd or higher.Lets be real: we still get a lot of our daily dose of entertainment in SD resolution, Lowering to 720p would drastically reduce the production cost, and if done right you could redo your content in 2k - 4k if there is enough interest in this.(Film in highest possible resolution, edit it in the lowest accepteable res).

-Not sure about this: Open Movie Strategy, you assets are a good start, but I would try to additionally establish some kind of community world building with content created by user. Something like Star Wars Star Trek etc. backwards: First the expanded universe, than the actual movie..but again I'm definitive not sure about this one.

edit: but hey I might be wrong on this, and I could imagine that you already thought about those stuff
  • Andy Lefton

Excellent :) If Oats is ever in the market for an aging punk rocker that's also an experienced senior 3D artist, feel free to reach out :)

Cheers
    www.andylefton.com
  • Andy Lefton

Thanks for the kind words :) That thing took 5 years to create (during off hours, weekends, etc) but happy it got done!
  • Eternauta

Before I saw this discussion, I had opened another one where I was pointing to the platform gog.com . It's like Steam but better, with a movie section, and as far as I know, with the possibility of making a pre-order.
    The guys who work there are always very kind and open to new collaborations, so I think it might be worth contacting them to see if it is possible to sell movies on their site too!
  • Frankie

$80 million in pre-sales is a nice foundation. ;)
  • Christopher Moonlight
    Indeed it is. Now, pre-selling isn't easy for most, by any stretch of the imagination, but a lot of bigger budget indie films do get funded that way. I'm sure this is nothing new to Mr. Blomkamp but the closes scenario I see to what Oats is doing right now is Adi Shankar, who I posted an interview with earlier in these comments, and who is also very well known for The Grey, Dredd, and his Bootleg Universe.
  • TheBigDirty3000
    have you thought about the idea of using your own clout against your fan base. Like if you went into a studio and said if I can raise "X" amount you guys put in "Y". Studios sure do love when they can see fans before a release. I'd say this could work on a smaller scale (monetarily) for a director of your caliber, with the shorts you're making. I know i'd pay to see them. Though not seeing it in theater would suck. What's that word studios love hearing ---subsidy?
  • Christopher Moonlight
    Here are a couple of videos of Alec Gillis talking about his fund raising experiences.

• Creactivity
    I'm sure you've asked Alec Gillis about his experience with Harbinger Down. I took a lot away from that, information wise.Christopher Moonlight
    Well seriously i don't find Harbringer Down a originality masterpiece, so Imho, the issue must be searched in other types of "movie issue" and not in the funding itself.
  • Christopher Moonlight
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the second half of your sentence. If you're saying that Harbinger Down's funding solutions are not for Oats, that may be so. However, I think that discussing the workings of different funding options can open you up to new (or at least variations on) ideas, that may be just the thing. I've found that there's nothing wrong with spit balling and it doesn't hurt to leave things on the table for longer than you think you might need them.
  • Christopher Moonlight
    I'll add that I thought of these videos because of 's comment about funds matching, which is something that Alec brought up in the CBG19 video.
  • Creactivity
    as i said that for me IT IS NOT THE SAME SITUATION. Funding issues depend how the audience feel important that project, but as ALREADY SAID the issue of that movie IT IS NOT THE FUNDING, BUT SOMETHING ELSE
  • Christopher Moonlight
    Okay, well I see you feel very strongly about your opinion, so we'll just leave it at that.
  • Creactivity
    no ok you are right is a masterpiece that look like a bad clone of "the thing" you are right ok?
  • Kelly
    wow that's insane!! Well done on seeing the whole thing through :D
  • TheBigDirty3000
    I used Kickstarter in 2013 to help fun my film I Am Alone which won't release till this September. Got around 27k from it. I agree with Alec on most of his points. Kickstarter is TOUGH a 30 day job for 24 hours every day. But he also had name recognition, where we did not. Our biggest Asset was a video by our lead actor Gareth David Lloyd in the third week on kickstarter and that put us over the top. Also if what he says is true about Veronica Mars, the Corporations putting funding in, is not the same as his own money or me putting my own money, which I did. Corporations can already afford the film, case in point veronica Mars. Let the indie filmmakers have some chance at making a film. Either say yes when we come to you with our screenplays or go play in the big sandbox. Let us play over here. Oats can raise the money without kickstarter, it has Neil Blomkamp. What Oats need to do is to figure out a viable distribution model for short films or films that run less than 70 minutes or even features for that matter. And present that to the Studio with his idea, then prove it. Kind of like how Louis C.K. did his thing. I hate distribution and could go on for weeks about the scumbags I've met. What I don't get is for some reason we filmmakers have to use them! Why do I need to bust my ass to get my film made then turn over 30% and some bullshit marketing costs to a distributor. I'm ranting, so I'll stop. Figure out distribution and Oats can do what it wants.
  • Spencer
    Oats Studios needs to become what Blumhouse Productions is to horror, but for science-fiction films.

While Kickstarter and Indiegogo have helped finance a few motion pictures, notably Veronica Mars ($5.7M), MST3K ($5.7M), and Code 8 ($2.1M) -- it's too inconsistent and inefficient, with a 5% skim for using their funding platforms. For any practical sense, it's really only beneficial as a means to provide supplementary capital for a single film. Fortunately, science-fiction seems to fare well on these crowdfunding sites, and it wouldn’t be a bad idea to utilize for a first feature.

If general crowdfunding as a source of equity is a serious consideration, establishing a new startup company with a limited partnership agreement through WeFunder would be another option -- similar to what ‘Legion M’ has done as the “world’s first fan-owned media company,” which successfully released Colossal. This new startup could be anchored by a few leaders within the sci-fi industry (directors, writers, actors, artists) to help promote specific projects, and also serve as a source of capital. Stock of the company could be split between A and B shares with creative and voting rights to be determined.

If we were to follow the Blumhouse model, the goal would be to create a “low-budget” science fiction film that had a major theatrical release. Oats Studios needs its own Paranormal Activity franchise that explodes into popularity, and ultimately provides funding for larger and more ambitious projects. From what I’ve seen so far, Rakka is the most commercial viable premise to turn into a feature – although I haven’t seen Zygote which looks promising. Once this sci-fi film takes off and investors see the ROI numbers, co-financers will quickly get involved, and after a proven slate of results, a first-look deal by a major studio could be negotiated (while preserving Oats Studios creative integrity).

The demand for good sci-fi films is only going to get stronger as we enter this hyper-connected future where content is king and widely available on multiple platforms – especially mobile and VR. Oats Studios could ride this wave, but it needs a low-budget hit to get jumpstarted.
  • fetustwinzies
    Neill, i love OATS and the whole platform you're going for. its a super rad idea and i really hope it works because id love for film to have to worry about big studios as much as we can just make our art.
    maybe try crowdfunding or gog or a kickstarter or something, as its a little simpler and i'd be very much down for that (only draw back to kickstarter is you have to offer perks, which aren't bad, they just use up budget which could be used making the flick better)
    ~
    on another note, similar but different: i was wondering, would you (as Oats) ever do work for other companies, kind of like what WETA does or something?
    because i myself am trying to get funding for this screenplay i'm kicking around and you and your work is like, perfect, for what i want to do - i dunno if anything'll happen with it but you'd most certainly be my first choice for sfx studio. love your work and these shorts.
  • Natan Vance
    Turn people into real investors with a possibility to invest into the long term.

What I mean with that is give people the possibility to buy “shares” and if profits are to be made they can sell their shares and get a return from those profits based on the percentage they invested.

Now I don't suggest to work with the actual stock market, but more like a trust fund.

Let's say the goal is 100 000 000 and someone invest 100, that means that you can have a percentage of 0,0001% of the profits. So if the movie made a profit of let's say 300 000 000 internationally – you can get 300 in return.

But the great thing about long term investments is that people can wait to cash in, because the movie is only going to keep generating more money in the long run (some movies fail at the box office but become cult classics later on).

Here's what I would propose: set a starting goal where everything is already included, meaning not only the required funds for production but also for distribution, marketing, the soundtrack and further third party licensing.

That way you make people into real share owners.

And as long as the goal isn't reached give them the possibility to augment their own share value: so for example I can invest 10 this month and perhaps 50 next month and so on as long as the goal isn't reached.

That way the closer it will get to the actual goal the more people are going to chime in.

The only thing that needs to be put in bold letters is that THIS IS A HIGH RISK INVESTMENT (meaning returns are NOT guaranteed), so people out there: please don't put your grand total of life savings into it!
  • Creactivity
    Let's say the goal is 100 000 000 and someone invest 100, that means that you can have a percentage of 0,0001% of the profits. So if the movie made a profit of let's say 300 000 000 internationally – you can get 300 in return.

But the great thing about long term investments is that people can wait to cash in, because the movie is only going to keep generating more money in the long run (some movies fail at the box office but become cult classics later on).
    Natan Vance
    That's a really good idea (Y)
  • Raiyan Laksamana
    Interesting ideas around here !
    I'm thinking about a project platform (initiate, execute, manage, etc ) coupled with funding platform, using Ethereum or Bitcoin. Where project posted and funded using digital escrow system. So any fund & projects are managed using a la blockchain system.
    The tricky part is how to integrate real data about a project performance : actual ticket sales, presales and any funding related stuff to make the system works. How to make / enforce producers and distributor to make such blockchain system.
    Imagine a system where we can really transparently knows how much we make in a worldwide project......I'd say it is possible!
  • Joel
    Patron please! I will gladly support a patron account.
  • Mireille Nze Ekome
    I salute the idea of Neill Blomkamp.Try Etheureum
  • Natan Vance
    Careful with 3th party funding platforms, although it's probably easier to set up they also take a share of the funds. Kickstarter for example takes what? 8%? If the goal is 100 000 000 then that means that 8 000 000 (yes, 8 million) will go to the funding platform!

Therefor I think it's better to raise funds from within oatsstudios or at least set up a page that is exclusively dedicated to the funding program of said movie.

And there are other hurdles that needs to be addressed, one is the currency - they all fluctuate depending on the market and unfortunately but bitcoin and Etheureum are still considered too volatile (Ethereum just took a nosedive; it went from 400$ in early June to sub 200$ last Tuesday that's 50%).
    I'd say let's Neill decide in what currency he needs the cash.

The idea I posted above is based on the simple concept of the ant colony or beehive, you substitute the studio and its investors by many many many small investors. In return these investors get a financial return on the amount they invested when profits are made.
  • Eric

You can preorder games and pay ahead of time. Steam doesn't let you preorder "Software" ?
  • bhagman88

As your approach for OatsStudios is a bit unorthodox as compared to how movies are typically created and distributed, it may be worthwhile to leverage another unorthodox approach for fundraising. I believe an ICO (initial coin offering) may be an ideal way to raise money to fund the studio while simultaneously giving the audience a voice as well as a viable investment opportunity, all without exchanging any ownership/equity in the studio or the IP that is created.

• An elementary way of looking at the ICO is an evolution to crowdfunding. Essentially what you would do is create a new token (let's call the new token "Oats") based on top of an ERC20 coin (Ethereum blockchain technology).
    • The ERC20 coin will enable you to leverage the power of Smart Contracts, which is essentially code that can be configured to govern the terms of how and when "Oats" are released/vested
    • Additionally you can choose to configure "Oats" to give governing power to those who have bought into the token. For example, as backers in the film/studio, you can give them more influence on the decision-making process (without giving them control) by enabling them to vote on which film ideas to pursue, or how to go about distributing the films etc. It would be a very interesting and engaging way to bring your audience into the process and make them feel like an active contributor to your organization, without having to divest too much control
    • The value of the "Oats" will be determined by secondary markets, essentially based on how much people agree to buy and sell your currency. The initial ICO is where you will be selling the 'Oats', and will have in essence raised funds by selling tokens. This gives the audience the potential to actually make a profit on donating to your cause based on the behavior of the aftermarkets (exchanges).
    • There are some technical, logistical, legal, and financial considerations that should be looked at carefully when considering an ICO. It is definitely not impossible to pull off, it just would require going about it in the right way.

Lately there have been ICOs that have raised anywhere between $10 Million and $200+ Million. The technology behind this is fascinating and can allow for a wide range of opportunities. I believe it may be worthwhile to at least consider this option. We are currently exploring this opportunity for our own company and would be happy to share our knowledge about it if it's something you are open to looking at. Feel free to send me a message if you're interested in discussing this more, we are located in Los Angeles so should be in the same time zone as you.
  • arkimedes
    I made a thread about it here http://forums.oatsstudios.com/discussion/193/oats-studios-and-the-future-of-art#Item_1 not realizing this thread existed. I'll copy and paste my thoughts here for convenience:

I recently read in an article about Oats Studios and it wanting to avoid producing any ads and just focusing on the art. I also read and was really intrigued by the fact that Oats Studios allows people to use their assets for their own projects which is amazing. This got me wondering about whether or not those involved in Oats Studios knows anything about Ethereum since it is something that seems right out of one of the futuristic worlds Oats Studios has built as well as the fact that one of the Tokens created on the Ethereum blockchain SingularDTV is focused on making the Entertainment Industry decentralized which would allow studios like Oats Studios to easily crowdfund their films in a way that would make the fans of the film more involved in the world that's being built, and distribute the film + assets in a more cost efficient and direct manner. Also, I strongly recommend getting on Patreon ASAP so we (fans) can start funding Oats Studios now and get some sweet perks as SingularDTV is still a couple months away to being production ready

There is also Golem which is a Token focused on allowing people around the world to rent out their computing power so companies (like Oats Studios) could render their projects without buying a very expensive equipment.

P.S. Please get https on by default on the Forum. It is a huge security hole to have users register without using https.
  • Connor Haines
    As someone who just went through the rigors of a relatively successful 4-month crowdfunding campaign, I would not recommend it. IMO it's a bit of a soul crushing endeavor that takes away from the creative process. My suggestion would be to produce as many smaller budget shorts as we can, really nail down a dedicated viewership/audience, and then directly appeal to them for donations so we can produce more of the content they have grown to love. Small steps that eventually could lead to the funding of a feature by the audience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Andy Lefton

Curious, was your project for a short film or feature length? Also, was this via Kickstarter that you used?

Cheers
  • Frost
    giphy.gif
    Neill keeps mentioning this in interviews... i couldn't resist. :-}
  • Frankie

Wow! Looking at how clear you explained the concept of contracts and crypto currency, I think you are a real expert. :)
    I'm also working on an integration of ETH or my own currency named TAL into my project.
    Would be great, if I could ask you some questions in near future.
  • Tizzywizzy
    Make something short about youtube channels or persons and send it to them. If it catches, and gets attention you might reach a lot of people (gamechannels?).
  • bhagman88
    Sure feel free to PM me
  • skyward
    XD amazing work
  • skyward
    Dunno if anyone else noticed, but @Neill Blomkamp mentioned in the Reddit AMA yesterday that he basically wants to raise the biggest crowdfunded film budget so far:

We will very clearly open up a CROWDFUND for our first oats project soon. Hopefully it will be successful, the whole project is a giant experiment. If people fund us we will make cool stuff. If people don't, the dumpster fire of money will turn to embers and we will shut the doors.

moderatelyremarkable • 22h
    Damn, we have to make this happen. What kind of money are you looking at?

nblomkamp • 20h
    miilllliionnnnssssss (with pinky to lips) - for real though, more than any crowd funded film before, ever.
  • Frankie

Yes, saw that - but:
    The highest crowdfunded movies are in the range of 4-6 million, with games double that.
    So I'm still wondering, how you would fund a 100 Million $ movie.
    I see a better chance in producing a low-budget in the range of 3 millions and hope for a success like Blumhouse.
  • Frost
    haha! That's awesome u shared the gif on twitter! No credit needed dude, it's all good. (Y) truly honoured.
  • Simon
    @Neill Blomkamp

I have a suggestion. I don't know if this is something you can use or not. In Denmark we have something called the Danish Film Institute. Its funded by the the country and it approves further funding for foreign producers on feature films, documentaries and short films if a danish person is co-producing. I think you also have to send it on the danish national television at some point, but I don't think that would be a problem since all danes speak and read english. Here is a couple of links so you can read a bit about it.

http://www.dfi.dk/Service/English/Service/AboutDFI.aspx
    http://www.dfi.dk/Service/English/Funding/Co-production_oct_2014/How-to-Co-produce-with-Denmark.aspx
    If the Danish model doesn't suit you I bet there are other countries doing the same thing.
  • Simon
    If the Danish model doesn't suit you I bet there are other countries doing the same thing.
    Or if you don't have a danish person lying around..

Also why is there no edit button?
  • Destiny Davis
    I think a good script could be used as a framework for a computer (on-line) created movie that users could pay a small fee to work on.

The script could be broken down into manageably sized chunks that users could put their vision to. The scenes or beats (sections of the movie) that are submitted to the project could be voted up or down by the rest of the users.

The cuts that make it into the movie can carry with them credit for the users that created them. To attract participation into the project, those users who get their work and credit into the finished film could perhaps get paid!

The project could as well be contest based with the winners submissions being included into a movie that you yourself are undertaking.

P.S. I love your films.

Destiny Davis
  • ArjayHaitch
    @Neill Blomkamp

An ICO would make a lot of sense. But definitely will require research to avoid exploits. In the context of an ICO the "smart contract" is essentially software and so can be exploited. See the recent DAO https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11921900

But using cryptocurrencies and smart contracts could be very flexible and allow you to fund in a multitude of ways. Which is what I would like to see happen and would in itself be very exciting. It would also bring visibility to cryptocurrency.

If you do go this route you'll want to make as much of the plan public as possible and I hope that's already a big part of an ICO or smart contract for any project.
  • ArjayHaitch
    I like the idea and just pitched something similar before I saw this post*. The one issue that I see with the proposal is that the story gets revealed before the movie's in the can. I don't want to know the story before I watch the movie but maybe most don't care???

• Johann
    Didn't know about Patreon until now. It actually looks promising. Here's a TED by the founder:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jack_conte_how_artists_can_finally_get_paid_in_the_digital_age
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet