• Bwgan
    I love the video, and got really excited with the idea of taking some of the DLC in to Unity and making an interactive piece. So I was really disappointed when the only 3D assets we got were a print-your-own figurine, while 2D film makers get 10GB of high-res video.

I think your business model is fantastic, but please cater to the growing mass of interactive film makers and give us some environments/ textures and rigged character models to play with, it would be the icing on the cake for Rakka backers.
  • beanz8919
    I would also be very keen to get my hands on some environments/rigged characters etc, hoping they will be added further down the line.
  • Darth Biomech
    I guess that fully rigged characters are unlikely, since so much work went into them, plus they most likely require a lot of third party plugins and custom proprietary solutions for 3d software they used in production... But then again, maybe not, I never seen any studio release any sort of "assets" for the movie before, so everything is possible, and this is very exciting!
  • Hoik
    Hey, firstly love the concept - very exiting.

I'd have to second these guys, especially the rigged characters, as well as maybe some generic mo-cap walk-cycles/stances?

I think a lot of the gaming community are quite familiar with the concept of user made content/modding. We are used to getting our hands on sdk's and other development software and a bunch of assets to play with - and for the most part this consists of a lot of recycling assets with some re-skinning and environment changing (new maps if your lucky) and some scripting/coding.

What i'm getting at is there is a general workflow, I guess I'm still a little unsure on how to approach this format - which is in itself exiting!
  • Bwgan
    Turning the high-poly models in to game engine ready assets would take a small amount of time & effort. Just 1 rigged Klum drone, some animations & some environment models (Klum towers etc.) would mean the world to anyone who likes playing with Unity/ Unreal (the greatest Lego sets ever invented).

I thought we were getting an open-source story that we could contribute to, kind of like mods on a video game. If Oats can't spare the time to format the assets for Unity/ Unreal then I'd gladly volunteer to do the work!
  • steven blomkamp
    Hey everyone,

There will definitely be more assets coming. There's a bit of a process to choosing, prepping and signing off on everything we want to push to Steam, but there's definitely plans to have rigged characters, game ready versions etc.
  • beanz8919
    That is awesome news, glad to hear that this stuff will be coming at some point down the line, very much looking forward to playing around with these assets.
  • Bwgan
    Thank you, I can't wait to see them!
  • steven blomkamp
    I'm a game dev myself. So I'll always be pushing Neill for game ready content. I'd love to see mod assets of Oats content spreading throughout the various steam workshops
  • Chris Harvey
    I just wanted to pop in here as well and confirm that we are certainly working on bring you actual source assets from Rakka. As you can imagine its a bit of a process to package it all up and make sure its usable for people ... not to mention the team is cranking away at the even more content for you all to watch!!!
  • beanz8919
    That's really great to hear, and I obviously understand that it's a process getting this stuff to a releasable state. One of the things that I think is so exciting about what you are doing with Oats Studio will be seeing what other members create with all the material released. I'm certainly hoping that it will lead to collaborations within the community and ultimately lead to more exposure for what you're trying to do.
  • Jeandré
    Hey Chris, I take it you do not have Twitter. There was a question a guy asked: "Can you share what software you used for the animation with Rakka". I'd also like to know.
  • Chris Harvey
    I am trying to setup my twitter account, it was hacked and suspended.

There is a variety of different software used in Rakka. We are very open and don't dictate too much here, basically whatever tool is the best for the artist they are encouraged to use that. This approach has made us extremely nimble when it comes to adopting new tools/techniques. Hell we even switched renders literally mid show on Rakka which is something you would almost never see at a big facility (mush slower ships to turn).

That said there are a few standards that we build the pipeline around, here is a quick but not exhaustive breakdown:

animation/rigging - Maya

lighting/lookdev - 3dsMax

rendering - Redshift (via 3dsmax...thought redshift works in all of the main DCC apps so you could likely easily rebuild and render in say Maya, or Houdini etc..)

modeling - everything...3dsmax, maya, mudbox, zbrush ... whatever made the most sense to the artist doing the task.

fx - houdini, with some stuff done in a smattering of other tools

compositing - Nuke

Hope this helps and if you or others have questions about how we did all this ask away and I will try to answer and get the other artists on here as well!
  • Hoik

Thanks Chris, that's a good basic breakdown.
  • Markarian
    The things I'd do to get my hands on some of those Houdini scenes :)
  • beanz8919
    Hi Chris, that's a great breakdown, I've always been a fan of letting the artist use the tools they most feel comfortable with. I just had a couple of quick questions, firstly what renderer were you using previously and what made you move over to redshift?

Secondly I was just wondering about how you approached the animation side of things, was there any mocap used at all or was it done similarly to Neil's previous films with grey suit actors and hand key animated?
  • peej
    I understand its difficult to package 3d assets up and release them to be useful.

But while we are making requests-

What would be soo much more useable would be the same model in a bind pose. Also maybe textures?

I bet you also have a bunch of hdr light probes which would be amazing to get a hold of!
  • Chris Harvey
    ya keep the suggestions coming. And yes, the actual assets would come in a proper bind pose, the one thats up there now is specifically prepped so people can 3d print it. Those are literally the files we used to print our own maquette here in the studio. Textures will also be part of the asset upload.
  • Chris Harvey
    we were using Vray, which we did use for some of our other work. The reason we switched...complicated but ultimately I had been watching the Redshift development for a couple years and we evaluated it right when we started Oats...but it wasn't ready at the time. When we got neck deep in Rakka we became aware that our small (basically non-existent) render farm (just our workstations) was going to cause a problem for us. We had planned to move to cloud rendering with Vray but decided to again look at Redshift since it had matured a lot over the last year. We tested it, and found shocking results. It was WAY faster, 4-5 times as fast. It helped that when we built our machines we had spec'd them out in advance with the specific though we may move to a GPU based solution. But this speed up meant that we could iterate more and actually get through the mountain of work with an extremely small number of people. It came with other advantages as well (you buy one license and can use it in any of the various DCC apps instead of having to purchase a separate license per DCC.

I probably sound like a Redshift fan boy but it worked really well for us. I still love Vray and we still use it here as well, but our main renderer currently is Redshift.

In terms of animation we actually have built our own motion capture stage, though it was used fairly minimally on Rakka. For Rakka we had a grey suit stunt performer on set and the animators (only two of them) animated the performance on top of the stunt performer.
  • beanz8919
    Thanks for replying, that's some really interesting insight into the thought process behind some of these decisions. Everybody I've spoken to or heard speak about Redshift have said very similar things, it's something that I haven't paid too much attention to, as I work with game engines, however it's certainly something I'd like to look into more in the future for personal work.

It really is amazing the quality of work that you and your team have managed to put out given the number of people you have working on it.

I know that during his talk at e3 Neil mentioned a project in the works that will be making use of unity, will motion capture be used more heavily on a project like that? Is there any chance that the raw mocap footage would be released at all in the future along with any reference video?

Also I was just wondering what sort of setup you have when it comes to the motion capture stage, is this something that is set up for full performance capture or just body tracking? Apologies for all the questions, and appreciate if you don't have the time to answer, I just find this whole project fascinating.
  • Chris Harvey

interesting tidbit, the developers of redshift came from games I believe...

As to the "other" project Neill mentioned at e3 I can't really comment on that one yet. However we have used mocap on many of our projects, and releasing the mocap data is certainly something we will discuss!

in terms of the stage set-up we have a natural point system, not sure the number of cameras off the top of my head but the whole operation is pretty slick actually. one of our animators builds all sorts of props and sets out of wood and metal tubing. we have home-made gopro facial capture rigs we use and do a lot of virtual camera work as well.
  • beanz8919
    That's cool, I didn't know that, will definitely take a further look into it all.

Yeah that's understandable, don't want to spoil what's to come. I would certainly be interested in some behind the scenes into your motion capture and facial capture set up and pipeline at some point. At work I've been responsible for planning and directing alot of our mocap sessions, so it's always interesting for me to see how other studios are working. I've been following along with Ninja Theory's development of Hellblade, and they seem to be doing some really cool stuff in terms of performance capture on a smaller budget.

Thanks for responding and answering my questions.
  • paolo
    I read about your pipe. Would you guys be interested in "Multiverse for 3dsmax" (http://multi-verse.io)? We could develop it for you rather quickly: basically get out of 3dsmax with Alembic or USD and get the data into Maya/Katana/Houdini. Also, it would be good for the assets shared on Steam, they could be written as ABC/USD, not just static geo but also animated/deforming. If you are interested give me a ping (), would be awesome to work with the secretive rebels @ Oats! We are also working on RedShift support these days (in Maya/Katana).
  • Darth Biomech
    How hard it was to switch from vray to redshift? They work in different principles, as I understand, so the materials were probably needed to be rebuilt from scratch, right? In ideal situation you need to just re-plug your diffuse, specular, height and etc maps into different material, but things rarely that simple, for me at least, there's always extended network of nodes for adding effects or fine-tuning the textures. I remember how inconvenient it was for me to convert models from Vray to Corona - while it had converter of materials, it didn't supported all of the features of Vray - or nodes of material editor - so some materials turned out to be inconvertible. Although, that was couple years ago.
  • Chris Harvey

It was surprising straight forward. For sure the materials had to be rebuilt but the switch was made in under a week for the full show...so thats pretty damn fast. The lighters picked it up in a matter of a couple days and were outputting and deving much faster than before. Its just so fast to iterate in that the time lost in rebuilding was quickly regained in increased out-put.
  • Frankie
    That's amazing - but what are the usage restrictions of the IP?
    Can I use them in my film?
  • Jeandré

Commercial Activities. If you are interested in using any of the Licensed Content for commercial purposes, please contact us at . You will not have the right to use any Licensed Content for commercial purposes unless we enter into a written licence agreement with you regarding that commercial use.
  • Valerio Liberatore
    That's really nice Paolo!

Damn I should give it a try if Redshift is so fast! Read something about it months ago and seemed extremely solid but had no chance to try it out yet.
    Downloading right now the assets, can't wait to put my hands on them!
  • Frankie

Jeandre, thank you - that's what I did on Jun 16, as a pretty general question.
    Assuming you'll need more information, a more detailed explanation of the use, I'll get back to you as soon as it gets more specific.
  • Jeandré

I'm just a forum member just like you, I don't work for Oats.
    Try sending a pm to one of the admins or mods.
  • Salty
    I'm just saying guys, I'd LOVE to see the 3D asset for the CH4 tower, like the one in the image below. excuse the drawing over it, it was for copyright. XD

[img]/uploads/resized/files/7s/69cip2mldorawzx7.bmp[/img]
    I'd love to see this become a 3D asset.
    @Chris Harvey
    Attachment
  • Montreseur
    To use these meshes in a game engine you would have to do some retopology, unwrapping and baking. (From there you would want to texture with physically accurate PBR materials.) Not sure how smooth it would be to transfer a rig, but you could probably more easily put a retargetable skeleton on it and use various animations packs. Film assets and game assets are very different things.
  • Salty
    Ya, i know it wouldn't turn out so great, with all its edges, but 3D printing wise, i would like to at least try XD
    @Chris Harvey
  • Chris Harvey
    we can see what would be involved in giving some of the building assets out as well... no promises though ...still in the middle of getting zygote out the door :)
  • Salty
    @Chris HarveyThanks:P , I look forwards to seeing the newest film! Love your guys work!
  • AleksandrFX
    Sorry to drop it here,(didn't want to start another thread as I've already started one about Plates and HDRi's) but I see you are using Houdini for FX. Would it be possible to share assets or hip files with the community via DLC? That would be cool.
    If it won't be included in any of the DLC, is there a chance to contact the Oats Studio and purchase it for myself?
    Usage: study and non-commercial project
  • Chris Harvey

we are looking into it...are there any specific files you would be interested in?
  • AleksandrFX

Thank you, that would be amazing! The most interesting effects for me are:
    RAKKA - 1:18 - moving black masses and formations; 1:31 - organic mass (if it's just a model in Maya, then I'm not that interested, but if it's a procedural in Houdini - I would love to look at setup); 2:06 - planet earth - structure sticks out and the clouds moving around it.

Firebase - 21:49 - dissolving FX.

It would be cool to have a look at hip or hipnic files and study the setup for those effects. And then implement them in my own project ideas.
  • Raiyan Laksamana
    any trial to convert the rendering & materials for other renderer ? Like Arnold AI Standard Shader ?
    I think creating more detailed production ready VFX tutorial & ready-made asset based on this asset can be a good sell or share.
    Sort of liberating the knowledge of VFX technicality, so we can focus more on the creative vision.
  • Chris Harvey

We won't be spending time converting the assets over to other renderers but a person certainly could with little effort. We moved from Vray to Redshift mid project with Rakka. Most renderers are relatively similar in terms of set-up, they mostly use the same source maps etc..so its just a matter of hooking them up, then tweaking the shader settings to match.

In terms of creating a "more" production ready asset...well you can't. These assets are literally the production assets. As in, these are the actual files we used to make the films.
  • JeffH
    As others mentioned.. would love to see some Houdini and Nuke love. Been using Maya for years (since Power Animator) and recently started learning Houdini specifically for FX work. Thanks Chris and the team for being so proactive in the forums and providing this great content and films! Brilliant idea!
  • alex

Hi Aleksandr,
    Unfortunately, the hip files have custom hda and hdk tools/scripts, tailored to our setup and piggyback alot of stuff on our pipline. Some are not allow to be commercially released aswell. So releasing them would be a broken reference mess and be very frustrating to work with. Plus my scripts would take me years just to clean up and make comments, for people to pick up. But feel free to post in:
    http://forums.oatsstudios.com/discussion/59/oats-vfx#Item_23
    or better yet, make a new thread and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have regarding how the fx we approached.

Honestly most of the organic mass was just simply normalizing a noise and re-graphing the 0-1 values though a ramp, then displacing along the surface normals. Then animating the nosie offset, super simple :P

Have a go trying to create the fx yourself first, that will open up a whole can of worm of ideas and then test and build them. I'd love to see how other people approach the effect :)
    Cheers,
    Alex
  • AleksandrFX

I 100% understand you, especially the part about cleaning scripts and making comments. Sometimes I say myself that I come back and clean them, but it never happens :D

Cool! Thank you Alex! I definitely will try to re-create similar effect myself and if I have questions I'll create thread or ask in the existent "OATS VFX".

Best,
    Aleksandr
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube